Firms unaware of data breaches

Firms unaware of data breaches

New research has found that 50 per cent of IT employees believe their firm has experienced a possible data breach that has gone undetected.

In the 2014 Boardroom Cyber Watch report, cyber security firm IT Governance surveyed 240 high-level IT staff and discovered that many firms are unaware of  data breaches, place little emphasis on defensive tactics, and have minimal communication on such issues with members of the board.

The research found that 36 per cent of those surveyed believe their firm has experienced an attack within the last 12 months, with a further 20 per cent adding that they were unaware. The combined 56 per cent confessed that they may have suffered a breach without any knowledge of it having taken place.

Alan Calder, the IT Governance founder, encouraged firms to subject web apps and networks to pen testing in order to establish any security holes.

However, in spite of the increasing number of threats, the IT industry is demonstrating a proactive stance on cyber defence. About 73 per cent of those who responded to the survey feel that the defence system they have in place is sufficiently robust to defend against attacks.

Having a solid cyber defence strategy is one thing, but there is no defence for being unaware of data breaches. Advertising information security jobs is a crucial step that more companies should be taking – a move that will vastly improve their chances of staying at least one step ahead of attacks before a breach has taken place.

Our accreditations & Partners

  • REC Member
  • VTC - Virtual Technology Cluster
  • RANT Events
  • Bloom Nepro
  • YPO
  • Crown Commerical Service

Thanks

Success

Thanks

Success

Thank you for signing up to the acumin alerts.

Send CV

Send us your CV and have our recruiters match you to the ideal opportunities

Do you already have an account with us?

Log in

Want to have an account with us?

Register

Want to just send us your CV?

Upload only doc, docx, odt, pdf format file.

By submitting your registration and CV to us you are agreeing to join our database and to be contacted about relevant jobs industry communications. Please read our terms of business for more information.

Password reset

If you need a reminder for your password, fill out the field below

Log in

Access your account to edit your contact details, job alerts or to upload a new CV

Thank you

Success

Thank you for successfully uploading your CV.

Acumin Alerts

Success

Thanks for registering for Acumin alerts.

Acumin Alerts

Unfortunately your CV could not be uploaded

Please make sure your CV is one of the following file types: doc, docx, odt, pdf, rtf

Acumin Spam

Unfortunately your submission has been declared spam. Please try again.

Vacancy

Success

Thank you for submitting your vacancy.

Register

Create an account to register your contact details, sign up for job alerts and upload your CV

Success

Thanks for registering for Acumin alerts. To get the most out of Acumin's service why not register with us?

Upload only doc, docx, odt, pdf format file.
- Practitioner
- Commercial

I agree to the terms and conditions and to be contacted by recruiters:

I agree to receive marketing communications relevant to my job search:

I agree to receive Jobs By Email for the following professions:
- Business Continuity Management
- Counter Fraud
- Cyber Security
- Executive Management
- Governance & Compliance
- Information Security & Risk Management
- Penetration Testing & Digital Forensics
- Sales and Marketing
- Sales Engineering
- Security Management
- Technical Security
- Information/Risk Assurance
- Identity Management
- Application Security
- Security Architecture
- Dev/Sec Ops
- DV & SC Cleared Jobs
- Programme & Project Management
- CISO/CSO

Submit a Vacancy

Use the form below to submit a vacancy